Skip to main content

Cristiano Ronaldo challenges younger Ballon d'Or contenders to surpass his and Lionel Messi's success


In an interview released on Tuesday (October 30, 2018), in France Football, Cristiano Ronaldo challenged this year's Ballon d'Or contenders like Kylian Mbappe and Mohamed Salah to emulate he and Messi and dominate football for the next decade. The following extracts from Ronaldo's exclusive interview with France Football show that age has no effect on Ronaldo's football ambitions. The five-time Ballon d'Or winners Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi have championed Spanish and European football for about a decade now. Despite admitting that competition for the Ballon d'Or would be stiffer this year, Ronaldo didn't rule himself out as a favorite contender, which if won would make him the most successful player in the history of the Ballon d'Or.
"It'll be the same [names] as usual, but I don't know if Messi will be on the podium this time. So, let's say Salah, Modric, Griezmann, Varane, Mbappe, the French in general because they're world champions. But I'm waiting to see if all those players are still at the top in 10 years, as Messi and I have been, and as we continue to be. We're always there, on the podium for more than 10 years," said Ronaldo, who has been shortlisted on the 30-strong list of nominees.
"People would like it to be the end of an era, but that's not the case. I am and will still be there. And I deserve it. My performances speak for themselves. Don't count me out!"
"I have said several times winning a sixth Ballon d'Or isn't an obsession," insisted the former Real Madrid man, who has claimed the honor the last two years. "I already know, deep down, that I'm one of the best players of all-time. Of course I want to win it, that sixth Ballon d'Or. I would be lying if I told you the contrary.
"I work for that. Just like I work to score goals and win matches without that becoming an obsession. The Ballon d'Or, yes, I think I deserve it this year. And I work hard for that to be the case every year. I know what I do, that I compile stats regularly all year long, what I win in terms of trophies. And you know it just as well as me.
"But I also know what the others do, the credit they have, and I have a lot of respect for them. If I don't win the Ballon d'Or, I'll sleep just the same at night, because I know who I am. Yes, I dream of winning the Ballon d'Or for a sixth time and to pass, at the current time, Lionel Messi. But I don't control the vote, just my performances."
Ronaldo's swap for Juventus in the summer has not put an end to Ronaldo's individual duel with Messi. The 33-year-old Juventus ace revealed what the most challenging thing in football is as he went on to say: "That's the most difficult thing in this sport: staying at the top, maintaining your level. Going to the gym for three or four hours to keep your body in shape, that's fine. What's tough is to keep that work ethic, that motivation that allows you to be the same player long term. That's very hard. Really. And it's even more so when you have done that for so many years, when you've been at the top for 12 years, without interruption, with trophies to win every year. No one understands that.
"Do you know how many players are able to be at the top of their form for more than 10 years? You can count them on the fingers of one hand. OK, let's say there are two: Messi and I. That's why it's always important to have a challenge, a feat to accomplish, and that's the reason I'm here. I needed adrenaline, stimulation. To write a new page in the novel of the world's best player."
Ronaldo is proud of his top level at his age, especially with his Juventus signing at 33. 
"At 33, no one expects you to ask questions of yourself. At that age, no player goes from one big club to another for €100 million. It's mad! At my age, and I say this with the utmost respect for those who do it, players go to China, the Emirates or India, and they finish their career there, without maintaining their level. In a way, I'm proud not to think like that, to be a different animal, a different athlete, a different person with a different brain. I'm not saying I'm better, just different. But that's perhaps why I've been at the top of the game for 12 years," explained Ronaldo.
According to France Football, Ronaldo's recent FIFA World Cup performance stats were those of a player 10 years younger. 
"In the head, yes. And it's the head that controls everything," responded Ronaldo when asked if he felt like a 23-year-old. "Age is in the head. That's what enables me to still be at the top now, to enjoy what I do on the pitch just as much, to be happy, quite simply. I know it'll come to an end one day. In four, five, six years, who knows...it's the attitude that makes and will make the difference. Now, I'm motivated and relishing the present."
Ronaldo admitted on being asked if he felt his physical abilities were waning that they were. He said, "From a certain point of view, yes. Except that when you look at the stats, you see that I'm still performing in an incredible way. The numbers never lie, and they are good. I'm still enjoying myself. So, I'm not asking myself questions."


Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular Posts

Princess Qajar - The Revolutionary Persian Princess

Zahra Khanom Tadj es-Saltaneh commonly referred to as Princess Qajar was a princess and memoirist of the Qajar Dynasty. Princess Tadj was one of the best known daughters of the Persian king, Naser al-Din Shah Qajar who ruled Persia from 1848 to May 1896. The Persian princess was born on February 4, 1883 and died on January 25, 1936, in Tehran, at the age of 52. Princess Qajar revolutionized beauty standards with her full look and ragged unibrow, and her unmistakably evident mustache. She was a true epitome of beauty at her time. Princess Qajar was declared a symbol of beauty in Persia and was coveted by many men. Thousands of men wanted to marry her, 13 of whom committed suicide upon being rejected by the princess. Princess Qajar eventually married Amir Hussein Khan Shoja'-al Saltaneh and had they had four children - two boys and two girls. They later got divorced in 1907 after enduring an unloving arranged marriage - she married Khan when she was 13. The princess argued f

The Lehman Brothers Scandal (2008)

Company Background : Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc. was a firm specialized in the provision of global financial services. It was founded in Montgomery, Alabama, in the United States of America. The company had headquarters in New York City, New York, in the U.S. It ceased operations in 2008. The founders were: Henry Lehman, Emmanuel Lehman and Mayer Lehman. What Happened? Lehman Brothers hid over $50 billion in loans disguised as sales. They allegedly sold toxic assets [1] to Cayman Island Banks with the understanding that they would eventually be rebought. How they were caught : Their bankruptcy led to the discovery of the fraud. They filed for bankruptcy in 2008, which is the largest bankruptcy ever recorded. Their case was larger than that of Enron, Washington Mutual, WorldCom and GM combined.  On September 15, 2008, Lehman brothers filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection  (Montgomery, n.d.) . Their bankruptcy filing came in as a blow to the financial industry as i

The finger-cutting tradition of Indonesia's Dani tribe

The death of a loved one is always an extremely painful thing to bear, and people of different cultures grieve in diverse ways, some more unique than others. A typically unique way of grieving is that of the Dani (an Indonesian tribe). Finger-cutting is a fundamental part of grieving for women of the Dani tribe, and pertains to their women only. According to The Globe and Mail, an estimated 250,000 Dani tribe members live in a town named Wamena, in the extremely remote central highland area of Papua Province. Wamena is only accessible by plane.  Upon the death of a loved one, the top joint of one of a woman's fingers would be amputated, and smear ashes and clay across their faces. Prior to amputation, a string would be firmly tied to the upper half of the woman's finger for 30 minutes, to cause numbness. This was to reduce the pain from amputating the tip. In most cases, the responsibility of cutting off the top joint of the finger is assigned to one of the woman's